District Office Contact
Lisa A. Kulaski
District Clerk/Secretary to the Superintendent
Phone (607) 746-1306
Facilities Use Requests
A Message from the Superintendent
Dear Delaware Academy Families,
I hope this correspondence finds you well as we quickly head into winter. This is also an opportune time to remind everyone of our protocols for… you guessed it… SNOW DAYS! This school year, we have a total of six (6) emergency days built into our calendar in addition to the minimal number of school days of attendance required by the New York State Education Department (NYSED). This year, we will declare an emergency day (or snow day) when extreme weather conditions or other emergency prevents us from safely opening school. Here are some factors we consider when making these decisions:
· The forecast of winter storms and/or current weather conditions.
· The condition of roads throughout the district. Our district covers approximately 200 square miles. While conditions in the village of Delhi may appear acceptable, conditions in the remote elevations of our district may be significantly different, resulting in the closing of school for everyone.
· Timing of the weather event will be considered when deciding when to close school. We understand that our families need time to make childcare arrangements; however, it may not always be possible to give sufficient notice of school closures.
· You will receive an “All-Call” notifying you of any closure. Additionally, all closures will be reported at www.delhischools.org, on our social media pages, on the Town Square Media Group, WCDO, WRIP, Spectrum News, WBNG, and WBXI.
· You will be notified in the same manner if a decision is made to open on a two-hour delay.
· When there is an emergency day for DA, students are not expected to attend any educational sites off-campus including BOCES programs or agencies.
· When school is closed, this includes all after-school activities or other events scheduled at the school on that day unless specifically communicated otherwise.
· In the unlikely event that we are required to close school beyond our six emergency days, we will shift to remote-only instruction according to our Emergency Remote Instruction Plan. Details will be provided if this becomes necessary.
The changing weather, also brings cold and flu season. Unfortunately, we also continue to experience cases of COVID-19 and RSV related illnesses. The most recent procedures regarding isolation, mask use, and return to school after testing positive for COVID-19 can be found on the COVID-19 CDC webpage. Delaware Academy continues to follow these recommendations. In any instance of illness, please keep children home if they are feeling sick.
Thank you all for your continued support of our schools. For information on school events and more, check out our website Events page or contact the main office of your child’s school. I wish everyone a safe and enjoyable holiday season, surrounded by family, friends, traditions and celebrations.
Kelly M. Zimmerman, Superintendent